How To Make The Most Efficient Use Of Your Energy To Build A Better Future
Our body is a vessel through which we produce and expend energy. This energy is always in constant flow. Our current life is the outcome of how we have utilized our energy in the past and our future relies upon how efficiently we use our energy today, in the present.
This means that to build a better future, we must learn how to expend our daily energy in the most constructive manner. Otherwise, not only does the quality of our life decline, but our body itself, and our energy levels simultaneously decline with it.
Listed below, are some of the most common ways we tend to utilize our daily energy. Listed first, are some of the deconstructive actions that we should avoid. Following that, we will explore productive ways of using that same energy.
Deconstructive ways of utilizing energy.
- Operating from the ego. Thinking heavily about how others will perceive your actions: The majority of people operate hierarchically. This means that their actions are based on how they will be perceived by their family, friends, and community of peers. When our actions are influenced by the ego, we use energy in a wasteful manner. Life becomes all about upholding our importance and everything around us begins to revolve around status. In the book “The Art of Dreaming,” Don Juan explains, “Most of our energy goes into upholding our importance… If we are capable of losing some of that importance, two extraordinary things happen to us. One, we free our energy from trying to maintain the illusory idea of our grandeur; and, two, we provide ourselves with enough energy to enter into the second attention to catch a glimpse of the actual grandeur of the universe.” Sometimes, we all need to take a step back to realize that the silly things we do to uphold our image hold no actual value. None of that stuff is what really matters. Life is not a competition about who is doing better than the other. In fact, the people living with that mentality are the ones who tend to be the most unhappy. Our life should be an individual expression of our truest self. It is incorrect to compare ourselves with others because we are all a unique case and we should embrace our individuality instead of oppressing it. When we learn to do this daily, we begin operating through the Self and our energy is used in a productive manner.
- Contemplating the past: Many associate the use of energy with just actions. However, even thought requires energy. Our thoughts are perhaps the most prominent experience of our daily life. Our internal dialogue can be constructive or destructive. We must expend energy solely on the thoughts that will help us build a positive future. On this basis, thinking about the past is wasting energy. The past has already occurred and cannot be changed. Even if your past actions have led you to a present full of regret and sorrow, it will only work against you if you continue to dwell in the past. A more constructive way to use that mental energy is to redirect it to anticipate a better future or to appreciate the present.
- Social Media: Snapchat, Facebook, and Instagram can be highly entertaining but they create a turbulent mind. The frequent use of social media engages us in too many things that are consuming, yet bring us no long term happiness. All of the entertainment and gratification gained from social media is temporary and it conditions our mind to seek short-term pleasure more often in the future. It disturbs the balance of our thoughts and hinders us from creativity and productivity. It drains mental energy.
Now, let’s get into some constructive ways that we can utilize our energy.
- Doing work that we care about: Doing an activity that brings us long term happiness is an important part of life which keeps it fun and entertaining. It brings purpose and meaning into our life which keeps us going full of energy and enthusiasm. Additionally, it is even better when the work we are doing is helping other people. More on that later.
- Exercise: Working out our body everyday not only keeps us in better shape, but it also allows us to have more energy consistently throughout our day to expend elsewhere. This is the reason that people who exercise frequently are much happier and energetic than most. It is a productive use of energy along with being one that multiplies our energy levels for later use.
- Helping others: All of life is one and everything is held together on the basis of love and support. Therefore, strive everyday to make a small effort to help another person in any way whatsoever. The action of giving with pure intent is always a good use of energy. In fact, it is more beneficial to our own selves than we can even imagine. In his book, “The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success,” Deepak Chopra states, “When your actions are motivated by love, your energy multiples and accumulates.” Remember, as mentioned earlier, all energy is in constant flow. As you give, you enable the natural flow and allow yourself to be ready to receive. This is the real “secret” to having abundance in any area of life. Keep the even exchange of energy flowing in and out active.
- Self-education: A great way to build a good future is to read about the ones who have already done it and then to convert that information into knowledge for use in your own daily life. People who are eager to learn and apply the knowledge they have gained directly to their life continue to improve the quality of their living. This is a productive use of energy.
- Meditation: Along with exercise, this is another activity that multiplies our energy. Meditation allows us to rest our mind and become one with the present moment. It helps relieve stress and anxiety, the two emotions that significantly drain our energy. It also helps us connect with the Self, which is the powerhouse through which we derive all energy into our life experience. Additionally, meditation helps us disconnect from our ego, which again, drains our energy is a wasteful manner.
Our goal is to utilize our energy to its maximum potential. This requires us to discriminate against wasteful uses of our energy. Once we begin to use it efficiently, we keep the flow of energy in our life healthy and continuously build a better future.
Written by Sunny Sharma